Windows Shell Extension - Hitachi ID Group Manager
Hitachi ID Group Manager includes a Windows
shell extension, which can be deployed
on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 PCs. If installed, this
component can intercept Windows ``access denied'' error messages
and present an expanded message which allows users to open a web
browser to the Group Manager application, where they can request
membership in the appropriate AD group.
The shell extension is packaged as a small, self-contained MSI package
for easy distribution using SMS, GPOs, etc.
Watch a Movie
Windows “Access Denied” dialog leading to group membership request
- A user is guided through the access request process.
- The video starts with the user encountering a
Windows "Access Denied" error dialog.
- The user is guided to a request to for membership in the
appropriate Active Directory security group.
- Users frequently need access to new shares, folders, etc. but
they don't understand access control lists (ACLs) or security
- To attain high user adoption for self-service security
entitlement management, it is important to implement a system
which allows for this gap in users' knowledge.