- Extend the Windows Graphical Identification and Authentication
(GINA) subsystem, which:
- is responsible for capturing Ctrl-Alt-Del,
- presents the login screen and
- handles screen savers.
- The Windows GINA can be replaced by third-party DLLs, such as:
- Novell NetWare.
- Strong authentication products (smart cards, biometrics, etc.).
- Hitachi ID Password Manager includes two GINA extension approaches, both of them:
- Launch a kiosk-mode web browser.
- Run the browser with an unprivileged account.
- The first is a GINA wrapper DLL that adds a
password reset button in the login prompt.
- The second is a GINA service program that
adds a password reset button without modifying the native GINA DLL.