Web Browser Password Synchronization - Hitachi ID Password Manager
Users can change some or all of their passwords using
the Hitachi ID Password Manager web interface.
The password policy is clearly explained on-screen and enforced
Using an interactive web page to change passwords has educational
benefits but requires user awareness and cooperation.
Password change and/or synchronization from a web browser works as follows:
- User: decides to change his password(s) or has been prompted
to by e-mail or a "web pop-up" during the login process.
- User: manually or automatically opens a web browser, navigates
through the Intranet to the Password Manager application.
- Password Manager web server: asks the user to type his network login ID.
- User: types his network login ID.
- Password Manager web server: asks the user to type his current NOS password.
- User: types his current password.
- Password Manager web server: validates the password against the
... repeat if authentication failed, lockout if too often.
- Password Manager web server: asks the user to enter a new password.
- User: types a new password, selects some or all accounts.
- Password Manager web server: validates password quality, possibly
returns the user to previous step.
- Password Manager web server: resets the password on selected systems to the
- Password Manager web server: displays a status page to the user.
- Password Manager web server: creates a ticket on an incident management system.
- Password Manager web server: sends the user a confirmation e-mail.
Users do not normally volunteer to change their own passwords.
A process for reminding users to periodically change their passwords
Watch a Movie
Reminder to change passwords
- A user is reminded, via e-mail, to change passwords.
- Users never volunteer to change passwords.
- Mobile users are not reminded to change passwords by Windows,
so an e-mail helps them avoid lockouts.
- An interactive web UI can educate users about password policy
and in-scope systems, so is often preferable to the
Windows "Ctrl-Alt-Del" UI.