Business Drivers and Use Cases for Enterprise Identity Management
The business drivers for deploying an IAM system include:
- Internal controls and regulatory compliance:
- Reliable access deactivation when users leave the organization.
- Ensure that new access is granted in accordance with business need and in compliance with policy.
- Enforce segregation of duties policies.
- Periodically review security entitlements and eliminate any that are no longer business-appropriate.
- Control access to privileged accounts and elevated privileges more generally.
- Eliminate weak passwords and other credentials.
- Require strong authentication wherever possible.
- IT support cost:
- Lower IT support call volume and help desk staffing.
- Reduce the volume and cost of manual access administration.
- Reduce the burden placed by auditors on system administrators.
- User service:
- Provision required access promptly.
- Simplify access requests.
- Reduce the number of passwords users must manage and enter.