Hitachi ID Password Manager enables users whose PC is protected with drive encryption software, who have forgotten their pre-boot password, to unlock their PC using an app previously installed on their iOS or Android phone.
The process for encrypted drive unlock is as follows:
- The user selects the "unlock" user interface at the boot prompt of the drive encryption software. Note that this is available before the operating system boots.
- The user launches the Hitachi ID Mobile Access app on his phone and signs in, for example by answering security questions.
- The encryption software on the user's PC displays a challenge code, which the user enters into his phone.
- The app displays a response code, which the user enters into his PC.
- This unlocks the PC, which proceeds to the OS boot process.
The series of screen captures from a phone in Figure [link] illustrates this process.
Hitachi ID Identity and Access Management Suite mobile application -- unlock pre-boot password
Note that drive unlock is also possible via a self-service phone call to an (included) interactive voice response (IVR) system.
Connectors are included for the following drive encryption products:
- CheckPoint Endpoint Full Disk Encryption.
- McAfee SafeBoot / Complete Data Protection / Endpoint Encryption.
- Microsoft BitLocker.
- Sophos Safeguard Enterprise Server.
- Symantec Drive Encryption (PGP).
- Symantec Endpoint Encryption.